Sunday, May 7, 2017

Houses




Give careful thought to your ways. Haggai 1:5 NIV

This past week or so, major flooding has been occurring in some areas near large rivers in Quebec and Ontario. Sadly, many houses will be badly damaged and some may not be salvageable. Understandably this is very stressful for the people affected by it. For me, it is a reminder to not invest too much in material things because any number of unexpected disasters can destroy them. 

In the book of Haggai, the prophet is questioning the priorities of the Israelites.  It appears that all their energies are spent on building their own houses and increasing their wealth.  We all need shelter and a certain amount of money to pay the bills, but it can get to the point where almost all our efforts are going to houses and bank accounts. I hope that I can remember to be content with a house that’s good enough so that I can use some of my money to help others who are experiencing hardship. When disasters happen, I hope I can help others get back on their feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment