Tuesday, November 26, 2019

A Jolt

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Proverbs 9:10 NIV

Some people take issue with the idea of fearing God. Isn't He the God of love? Isn't He always compassionate and kind? Doesn't He forgive all my sins? Yes, but He is also the God that loves us enough to not let us wallow in our sinfulness and destructive behaviours. As a parent, if my child is in imminent danger of being hit by an oncoming car, I  will speak sharply to him to get his attention and, in that moment, he fears me enough to stop and listen to me. Is that cruel or unjust? After the danger has passed, I will give him knowledge about the situation so that in future he can stay safe.  He will understand how to avoid being hit by a car. To fear the Lord is to acknowledge his authority and to realize that He can strongly affect our life if we don't listen to him. He does this out of love.  He doesn't want a car crash. Fear him and trust him.

I pray that I will remember that God always wants what is best for me. Sometimes I just want to eat life's candy but He wants me to have turkey dinner - good food that will strengthen and nourish me. I know He will not hesitate to discipline me when I am going the wrong way and need to be redirected. The more I learn about him, the more I  appreciate his direction and cherish his ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment