Sunday, June 18, 2017

Impress Them




These commandments…Impress them on your children.  Deuteronomy 6:6-7 NIV

As a parent, I have a serious responsibility to be a parent to my children.  I am not to relegate this duty to others such as teachers or care givers. While my children will be influenced and cared for by others, I need to be cognizant of my unique role as a parent. I won’t be a perfect parent but I want to be involved in my children’s lives even when they are adults, willing to walk with them through the tough times and the happy times. Sometimes they won’t want to hear me talk about God, but I can still show his love to them.

Children do not raise themselves.  They need instruction and guidance. They don’t naturally know what is right or prudent.  One of the great gifts that God gives us through his Bible is wisdom.  He tells us how to avoid many mistakes and pitfalls. By sharing these truths with our children, we can help to save them from heartbreak and disastrous lives. We need to be strong in the middle of the ungodly lies that swirl around us and demonstrate to our children that it is possible to stand against evil.  In every way, we need to teach them : talking to them, reading the Bible with them, singing with them, praying with them, bringing them to church. All these things will help them to find the narrow way. Not all children will accept the teaching but as parents we need to do our best to impress it on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment