Sunday, December 6, 2020

Purified

 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 NIV

The forgiveness of sins is a wonderful gift that is not only available to take away our guilt, but also to lead us into a righteous life with God. To be forgiven, to be aware that we need a Saviour to save us from our sins, we first have to recognize our sin. If we believe that we are "good" people that occasionally make a few missteps, we will not understand our precarious position. Only when we really understand the depth of our selfishness, lack of love, and rebellion to God, can we take the first step of confessing our sins. This conviction of sin comes from the Holy Spirit who shines a bright light on our dark hearts. Many people would think that it would be devastating to admit to our sinful nature. It would be if that was the whole story, but the Good News is that it is just the beginning. If we confess, Jesus will forgive our sins. And more than that, he purifies not only through forgiveness but by transforming our hearts so that we lose our desire to sin. Our prayers change from "Lord, give me something" to "Lord, make me like you."

I thank God for his forgiveness and his desire to make me more like Him. I pray that I will be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's conviction and quickly confess my sin. I pray for God's help to turn away from my sins. I pray for the strength and courage to follow his guidance resting in the full assurance that He only wants what's best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment