Friday, April 21, 2017

Gloating




Do not gloat when your enemy falls: when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice.  Proverbs 24:17 NIV

Sometimes I wish the Bible was just full of nice sayings.  It has a habit of making me feel uncomfortable with verses like this one.  How hard I find it not to gloat when someone who I think deserves to go for a fall experiences some kind of misfortune.  I have no right to judge that person or to presume to know what their life ought to be like.  There are times when I see God extending his mercy and goodness to someone that I believe could do with a little correction.  It’s a good thing that God is in charge and not me. How often God has to remind me that I know so little about other people’s state of heart and mind. Only He know how best to nurture his people.
I need to be ready to rejoice with my brothers and sisters in their good times, and be available to help support them in their difficult times.  At times, we all suffer from our mistakes. l don’t want to make it worse by having a superior attitude towards anyone when they stumble.  I’ll be next soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment