Friday, April 28, 2017

True Riches




Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 5:3 NIV

This is the first beatitude in the Sermon on the Mount.  In a paragraph,  the first sentence is usually the topic sentence or the sentence that presents the most important idea. I don’t think the order of the Beatitudes is in any way random.  First and foremost, I am called to check the state of my spirit. Is my heart open to God and his teaching? Am I proud? Am I self-centered? Am I greedy?  I think the point of this verse is to get me to do some soul searching and to face up to the fact that I need God’s hand on my life.  Left to my own devices, my negative qualities will grow.
My purpose is to follow God, not to make myself the center of the universe. If I don’t grasp this truth, I will never find the kingdom of heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment