Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Mercy




Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy. Matthew 5:7 NIV

When I have a right perspective of my shared humanity with others, complete with multiple shortcomings, it is easier to be merciful to others. In the Lord’s prayer, we ask God to forgive us as we forgive others. There is this tie-in between forgiving and being merciful and receiving forgiveness and mercy from God.
Sometimes our acts of mercy to others can influence them to be more merciful to us, but that doesn’t always happen. In the same way , we may forgive others who may not forgive us.
But God promises that if we are merciful, that we will see mercy. He certainly blesses me in kind ways that feel like mercy. How often he shows me how to get out of a mess I have created. How often in spite of my selfishness and anger he brings good out of a situation. His mercy encourages me to be more merciful and forgiving to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment