Monday, May 29, 2017

The Power of God




People will be lovers of themselves…having a form of godliness but denying its power. 2 Timothy 3:2,5

Denying the power of God. I think this is closely linked to denying the sovereignty and authority of God. Whenever I decide that I know better than God and choose to follow some pop psychology type of Christianity rather than Biblical Christianity, I am falling into a well-worn trap.  Instinctively, I want to do my own thing, in my own way, following the advice of people who stoke my pride fires.  I will be encouraged to love myself first, to meet my wants first, to demand my supposed rights first. I will be told that I should think that I am great and will be filled with platitudes about self-esteem.  I will be helped to build a very pretty house on sand.

What did Jesus say? Put others first. Deny yourself. Be a servant. Not much candy there.  I need to remember the life that Jesus led and how he sacrificed himself with great suffering. His life is the truth.

I pray that God will not let me live a form of godliness that denies the truth of who God is because only the truth can set me free, and I would like to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment