Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Growth Through Perseverance




Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete…James 1:4 NIV

I’ve been rereading some of Catherine Marshall’s writings. I have been struck by her perseverance in her spiritual growth. At a certain point in her life, she could have said, “I’m far enough along the path. Now I will coast.” But instead she continued to pursue spiritual growth until her death. She had the courage to look squarely at her sins and ask God to forgive them and help her to overcome them. She was brutally honest with herself. What a great example for me to emulate.

Jesus knows how much our sins shackle us.  He knows that Satan’s lies are destructive to us and those around us.  He wants to free us with his truth, but we have to be willing to look at ourselves truthfully and not despise sound advice from the Bible or other Christians. I want to persevere in my quest to be more godly.  I want to let God’s spirit have control so that I can learn to love others.  I want to be a light. I hope I never think I have grown enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment