Monday, June 19, 2017

A Telescope




As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease. Genesis 8:22 NIV

Like breathing, the seasons go in and out.  The whole earth is living and breathing through our lives. I always feel so reassured by this verse. It’s like the pulse of God is sustaining all life. I see this verse also as a metaphor for the seasons of our lives, as individuals, as families, as communities, as countries. I will go through cold times, dark night times, and times when the seeds lie buried in the ground, but always the day will return, the warmth will come back and new growth will happen.

I like to read history because it helps me to see the big patterns in the world.  I see the swings back and forth from war to peace, from depressions to prosperity. I see God’s hand sometimes allowing hard times but then when rebellious people turn away from destructive sins, I see his blessings flow. It’s easy to get caught in thought bubbles and only be aware of our immediate circumstances.  God has given us history, including the Bible, so we can learn from it.  He gives us a telescope so we can see the long view.

No comments:

Post a Comment