Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Baptism


“This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”  Matthew 3:17 NIV

Right at the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, he is baptized by John, the Baptist. When John is hesitant to baptize Jesus, Jesus tells him that it is necessary to fulfill all righteousness. Jesus begins his ministry in humility and affirming his connection with his human brothers and sisters.  This is possible because Jesus is secure in his Father’s love. The audible declaration of love by the Father is a public stamp of approval of Jesus for the witnesses at the baptism.


As we go out to minister in God’s name, we need to feel sure of the Father’s love for us. If I doubt his love, I need to examine why I do and need to resolve this issue. It is only on this foundation of love that we can also be channels of love. Only when we grasp the depth of God’s love can we begin to understand how He could forgive us and want to have full fellowship with us. Jesus began his ministry bound to the Father in love, and willing to humble himself to be a servant to the people he met.

No comments:

Post a Comment