Friday, March 2, 2018

Midianites



“But you have not listened to me.” Judges 6:10 NIV

The Israelites were being oppressed by the Midianites who were raiding their villages and stealing their crops. In their distress, the Israelites cried out to the Lord who sent a prophet to them. God reminded them that He had delivered them out of Egypt and had given them the land of Canaan. He was their saviour and their provider.  Their problem was not God’s lack of care for them; their problem was that they no longer were listening to him. “But I’m an Israelite, one of God’s chosen people,” some of them likely said. “Why does God allow this oppression by the Midianites even if I don’t always listen?”

God is transforming us. He is not satisfied with leaving us as selfish, greedy, proud, fearful people. He wants us to be filled with his Holy Spirit, to have the fruit of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. If He has to, He will put extreme pressure on us to get us to pay attention to him. If I cling fiercely to my sinful ways and do not listen when He whispers or gently speaks to me, then He will send the Midianites to shake me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment