Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Familial Love


“Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters.”  Hebrews 13: 1 NIV

When I read this verse, I am struck by the fact that many people today don’t experience familial love. How sad it is to hear of parents splitting up and one parent gradually fading from their children’s lives. How sad it is to have people express surprise that a couple of siblings could be happily sharing a home. God wants family to be a haven where there is acceptance and love. From the beginning in Genesis, God wanted people to live harmoniously in families but due to rebellion and jealousy even the first family experienced discord and violence. Today, we have so much mental illness due to stress and loneliness. Pills and psychotherapy are held out as the solution but wouldn’t affection and inclusion work even better?

My church family hurts me at times but I need to remember that God wants me to forgive and love the church members as though they were my biological family. The witness of the church to the world is only as strong as the love that we show to each other.  I pray that I will strive to be kind and understanding to my brothers and sisters in Christ remembering always my many weaknesses and failings. Lord, help us to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment