Sunday, September 9, 2018

Reminders


“So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them.”  2 Peter 1:12 NIV

As a child we were often reminded to do something we found unpleasant or tedious: “Clean your room.” “Do your homework.” “Brush your teeth.”  How many times were we reminded to play our favourite game or eat dessert?  I think we can develop negative associations with the whole idea of reminders.  But Peter was reminding his readers of the Good News. He was encouraging us to remember Christ’s sacrifice for us and God’s love for his people. He didn’t want us to forget God’s wisdom which keeps us safe spiritually and which keeps us in right relationship with God and others. We are easily distracted and pulled away by the thoughts and things of the world, and need lots of reminders .
I need to make sure that I think about the words of God every day. I need to remember his love for me and not be afraid. I need to have a heart that is receptive to the reminders of God and godly people. Yes, I know the truths of God but if I don’t consciously keep them in focus, I will stray.

No comments:

Post a Comment