Monday, April 30, 2018

Against Temptation



“Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.” Matthew 4:10 NIV

After Jesus was baptized by John, he went into the desert and was tested by Satan. Initially, Satan tries to question Jesus relationship with the Father. He dares Jesus to perform a miracle – turning stones into bread – to prove that he is God’s son. Then Satan urges Jesus to fling himself off the pinnacle to test whether God will save him. Finally, Satan shows Jesus all the splendor of the world and its riches and promises this to Jesus if he will bow down to him. Jesus ultimate answer to all these temptations is to worship the Lord and serve him exclusively. How could Jesus be so strong in the face of the evil attacks? It was because he was sure of the Father’s love.

I will be tempted by Satan, too. I need to follow the example of Jesus and defend myself with appropriate Scriptures. But most of all, I need to always remind myself of the Father’s unending, rock solid love for me.  That is what will carry me through the difficult times, and enable me to be a witness and servant to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment