Thursday, November 14, 2019

The Invitation

When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately.  I must stay at your house today." So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.  Luke 19:6 NIV

It's interesting to see who is named in the Bible. Here is a story about the chief tax collector, a man who would have been despised by most people of his town, and yet he is given the honour of being named in the Scriptures. Although he was a man of power  Zacchaeus probably had few, if any, friends because of his occupation. Something about Jesus intrigues him though and he climbs a tree to get a view of Jesus. Surprisingly, Jesus invites himself to eat at Zacchaeus' house and Zacchaeus gladly accepts. Had Zacchaeus been longing for someone to show him some kindness and friendship? Was his heart aching for someone to see him as a person and not just a tax collector? The grace and mercy that Jesus shows Zacchaeus brings a quick response and Zacchaeus promises to give half his money to the poor and to repay fourfold anyone he has defrauded.

I pray that I may follow Jesus example and be sensitive to people who live on the fringes.  They might be poor or rich. I hope I will extend an invitation to spend time with them so that I can get to know them in a meaningful way. I don't want to just smile at them and wish them a blessed day. I want to share life with them just as Jesus did with Zacchaeus. A heartfelt welcome will draw people to the Saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment