Thursday, July 16, 2020

The Two Sons

" 'Son, go and work today in the vineyard.'
'I will not' he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.'
Then the father went to the other son...'I will, sir,' but he did not go." Matthew 21: 28-30 NIV

The Parable of the Two Sons is directed at the chief priests and elders who were questioning
Jesus authority. Jesus is rebuking them for not believing John's testimony about him while at the same time claiming to be God's people, the servants of God. Jesus tells them that people such as tax collectors and prostitutes will be joining the kingdom of heaven before them because, although they initially aren't following God, some of them will repent and start doing God's work. In the case of the chief priests and elders their words do not make up for their lack of submission to God. In our churches we need to be careful that we are not proclaiming our allegiance to God without also embracing obedience to God. Our witness to unbelievers will be weak if we are all talk and no action.

I pray that God will give me a willing spirit. I pray that I will not be so proud as to think that meekness before God is not important. I pray that the world will see more love in action and less tossing about of  random scripture verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment