Sunday, September 13, 2020

Flourishing in Love

 

“But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever.” Psalm 52:8 NIV

We flourish when we are loved. The strongest, most basic need of any human is to be loved and to be assured that the love will never stop. Because human love is often precarious, it can be hard to believe that God’s love is steady and eternal. We can read the Bible and its declarations of God’s love for us.  We can read about Jesus’s sacrifice on the cross for our salvation, and yet the truth of what is said can get stuck in our heads and never make it to our hearts. We assent to the knowledge of God’s love with our intellect but doubts still trouble us. It is a truly wonderful gift when the default setting of our life is a warm and deep conviction of God’s intimate love for us. When we receive that gift, nothing else  troubles us to any great extent.

Lord, I pray that your people will not grow discouraged by doubts of your love. I pray that they will keep searching and asking for a deep, deep relationship with you. I thank you, Lord, that you have given me a taste of the glorious love that awaits me in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment