Saturday, January 1, 2022

Unloving Spite

 "So they began to celebrate...The older brother became angry and refused to go in."  Luke 15:24,28NIV

This passage is from the end of the Parable of the Prodigal Son.  The wayward son has returned home and his father, ecstatic to have him back, has prepared a feast to celebrate the event.  The older son, who diligently worked on his father's farm when the younger son was away squandering his inheritance, refuses to join in the festivities.  He claims his father never threw him a party and is jealous of the show of affection directed at his brother.  He does not love his father and so he cannot share in the joy that his father is feeling.  All he feels is spite.  He wants his brother punished. How often are we guilty of wanting people to "pay for their sins" even when they show repentance. How unwilling we are to be joyful about God's gracious mercy to others. 

Lord, help me to remember how many times you have been abundantly gracious to me.  Let me rejoice with the angels when a sinner repents.  Help me to love all your sheep in the same way that you do. Strip me of the pride that says, "I am so good because of what I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment