Monday, April 24, 2017

Work of God




Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” John 6:29 NIV

The disciples had asked Jesus what works God required of them. I wonder if they had all kinds of ideas: helping the poor, praying and fasting, healing the sick, teaching the people, and so on.  All worthy efforts and certainly ones that they were encouraged to engage in, but Jesus wanted them to understand that all these things would naturally flow out of a belief in him.  He didn’t want them to do charitable work but lose sight of him.  He wanted them to remember what was the most important part of their life: their belief in Jesus.
I have a friend who has significant health issues so many activities are difficult for her.  The work of God is still available to her – to believe in her Saviour. I don’t need to be rushing around doing.  I need to remember who my Saviour is, and then he will lead me into the work he wants me to do in his time and his place and with the people he wants me to be with.

No comments:

Post a Comment