Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Out of Control




He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. Luke 8:24 NIV

Raging waters and high wind. Life can certainly be like that at times. Out of control. When we are in the midst of a wild thunderstorm, we feel powerless and frightened. When we are in the midst of a life crisis like a serious illness, financial ruin or loss of a loved one, our emotions can be like a raging storm.  But Christ tells us to call out to him, to look at him, to focus on him.  He can bring calm back into our lives.
Sometimes we get into the trap of fearing fear itself. That certainly isn’t where God wants us to be. I can share all my fears with God and be honest with how scared I feel, but if I will deliberately, consistently and repeatedly shift my focus to him those fears will diminish. Peter was fearful before the crucifixion; after Pentecost he became fearless. The Holy Spirit is not a spirit of fear but of courage and peace. I can know that the Holy Spirit can easily deal with any of my anxieties but I have to be willing to shift my focus away from what I fear and look to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment