Friday, June 2, 2017

Mockers




The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law. Psalm 119:51

I sometimes think that the mocking of serious Christians is a modern thing but the Psalmist here is talking about the same thing.  Even all those years ago, people were uncomfortable with someone who was putting God’s law first in their life.  The mockery comes out of a feeling of discomfort and possibly an uncertainty as to the validity of life choices.  Jesus said clearly that his followers would be in the minority so I shouldn’t be surprised when that is the case today.

Society at large has no problem with wishy-washy Christians.  Most people are quite happy with examples of kindness and compassion.  What really gets people bristling is any talk of sin or judgement. When I understand their fear, because I believe it is fear that makes them lash out at Christians, I can better accept their actions.  Like a dog that feels cornered and turns vicious, unbelievers can be violent with their words or even actions. All I can do is to carry on, doing my best to follow God and perhaps some of the observers will come to see that God’s way really is a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment