Monday, June 12, 2017

The Gift of Ministry




Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry we do not lose heart. 2 Corinthians 4:1-3NIV

Sometimes I feel God’s hand directing me to some form of ministry. When I have the assurance that he wants me doing something in particular, I feel a freedom from wanting a particular outcome. I see myself as a sower planting the seeds and I am content to wait for them to sprout. I also know that some of the seeds will not germinate but that is the way of this world. Many of the people who met Jesus when he was on this earth did not believe in him or want to follow him.

When I feel restless and without a sense of direction, I need to ask God to tell me what he wants me to do.  His answer may not come for a time but he does eventually give me direction. Then I can confidently apply myself knowing that somehow the ministry will bear fruit. Often it simply involves being engaged with particular individuals, other times it is to be part of a larger effort of the church. God wants to use us to further the Kingdom and, when we are open to the diversity of his opportunities and acknowledge his Spirit in the work, we can proceed with hope and not fall into discouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment