Monday, October 1, 2018

Help My Unbelief


The boy’s father exclaimed, ”I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.” Mark 9:24

The father of a boy who is having dangerous fits asks Jesus for help. He pleads with Jesus that if Jesus can do something for the boy, that He does it. Jesus points out the man’s doubts of Jesus power and says that everything is possible for the one who believes. The reply of the man is such a good reflection of how so many of us feel.  We do believe and yet there can be niggling doubts. We come to Jesus, praying and wanting to feel sure of his care and love for us, but we are not totally convinced of the veracity of his words. I appreciate the honesty of this man who knew that his faith also needed to be bolstered by the power of Jesus.  In spite of our doubts, Jesus does answer our prayers in the way that is best for us just as He did with this man.

As I get older, it is easier to look back and see God working in my life.  Some situations that were painful at the time I now see in a different light  and realize they drove my life in a better direction and helped me to grow in my faith.  I have more peace and love to share with others because of those prayers answered in God’s perfect way. Going forward I trust God to keep his hand on me and to bless me as He has promised He will. My prayer also needs to be : “help me overcome any unbelief.”

No comments:

Post a Comment