Friday, October 5, 2018

Right Order


Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with your own house. Haggai 1:9 NIV

The book of Haggai describes the Israelites as a people who are interested in their own worldly prosperity and who are neglecting the Kingdom of God in their pursuit of material gain. The prophet points out to them that in spite of their hard work, their harvests are slight, their appetites are not satisfied, their clothes don’t keep them warm and their money keeps disappearing.  He is challenging the people to put God first and see how He will bless them. Today, many people, Christians and non-Christians are struggling to get their personal house in order and postponing any engagement with God until they feel secure in their careers, houses, or relationships. Sadly, they have it all backwards as the first stone of security is to be in relationship with God. Seek first the Kingdom of God.

Life really can seem like a book. I have watched friends and family chase after fame and fortune, careers and adventures and, while they have obtained some of what they were hoping for, the amount of effort is not in line with the meager return. On the other hand, I have seen people who put God first in their lives and I have observed how God has blessed them above and beyond their efforts. God has chosen to bless me financially in unexpected ways and I thank him for honouring my desire to put his kingdom first even if  it cost me money.

No comments:

Post a Comment